A groin strain is an injury to the adductor muscles that bring the leg back towards the body. Less severe strains pull the muscle beyond their normal range of motion and create incomplete micro-tears. More severe strains tear the muscle fibers in total and can even cause a complete tear of the muscle.
Groin strains, tears, or pulls usually show up after activity involving multiple changes in direction or excessive stretching or lunging motions. Any full contact sport puts an individual at greater risk of groin strains due to the variability in motion and the jarring nature of contact sport. Missteps, falls, and kicking motions are also risk factors.
Symptoms include tightness, discomfort or pain, and possibly swelling or bruising in severe cases. These strains can be very painful and keep you sidelined from life and sport without the right treatment.
Use KT Tape to relax and support the strained muscles as well as provide pain relief*. A combination of light progressive stretching and KT Tape will help get you active again in a much shorter time*.
Groin strains are usually graded as follows:
- Grade I Groin Strain*: Mild discomfort, often no disability. Usually does not limit activity.
- Grade II Groin Strain: Moderate discomfort, can limit the ability to perform activities such as running and jumping. May have moderate swelling and bruising associated.
- Grade III Groin Strain: Severe injury that can cause pain with walking. Often people complain of muscle spasms, swelling, and significant bruising.
KT Tape application is an appropriate use for Grade I and II groin strains. Seek professional medical evaluation for grade III strains and use KT Tape as part of a larger treatment plan*.
- How to Tape for IT Band (Hip) Pain
- How to Tape for Shin Splints Pain
- How to Tape for Posterior Shin Splints Pain
- How to Tape for Quads Pain
- How to Tape for Hamstring Pain
- How to Tape for Calf Pain
- How to Tape for Hip Flexor Pain
- How to Tape for Glutes Pain
For additional resources, please visit the KT Tape Forum.
*NOT CLINICALLY PROVEN FOR ALL INJURIES.